Tiny Dart Frog

Poison Dart Frogs are some of the tiniest and beautiful creatures on the planet; they are also incrediably deadly. So, why call this blog "Tiny Dart Frog"? It goes back to the old adage - good things come in small packages. We are all created exactly as God has intended - unique, strong, and beautiful.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

on becoming a pastor

I've been thinking a lot about church lately.  I've recently been ordained as a pastor, so I guess that's a good thing.  I thought my years of study, my life experiences, and my life-long experience with church had prepared me well...and they had, they did.  There was a ceremony - which was exciting.  There were prayers - which made me cry.  There were friends and family - which made me feel amazingly loved.  And then....I was a pastor.  At least, I was declared a pastor.

Here's what I am realizing though....the actual "becoming," takes a bit of time, takes a little growing into.  And the truth is, even when I am worried or stressed, the "becoming" is so much more than I ever dreamed. 



On Becoming a Pastor
Flushed cheeks and shaky whisper...
with heavy hands of God's promise
on her head.

She wonders...
how the Spirit weaves hearts to churches
so delicately -
with strength of a whirlwind and the softness of a sigh.

She ponders...
how one's heart finds a new home
so quickly -
with the aching joy of bursting.

She worries, she hopes, she cries, and she laughs.
She remembers God's promise
to soothe worries, to be her hope, to wipe away tears, and be her joy.
This is, she is coming to see, what becoming a pastor means.

No comments:

Post a Comment