Tiny Dart Frog

Poison Dart Frogs are some of the tiniest and beautiful creatures on the planet; they are also incrediably deadly. So, why call this blog "Tiny Dart Frog"? It goes back to the old adage - good things come in small packages. We are all created exactly as God has intended - unique, strong, and beautiful.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas cards



I am desperately trying to get my Christmas cards done... Last year, I ordered such cute cards with pictures of my kids on them with very, very good intentions of mailing them and... they sat.  Those cards sat in the box full of love that I wanted to send, full of news I wanted to share and I just didn't get it done.  I never mailed them.

Hence, my desperation to get them done this year.  One of my very closest friends and I were talking about Christmas cards today.  She was saying how much she loves getting the cards with pictures on them - she likes to see how her friends' kids have grown (and I'm sure how her friends have aged).  I agreed.  I love the photos!  And I love the Christmas letters.  I know, I know - people either love those letters or they hate them, but since I can't even seem to get the cards in an envelope, I can appreciate the efficiency of  "the letter". 

As we were talking, my friend said, "I thought about just sending an email out this year, with a picture attached, but I just couldn't do it."

'Hmmm...,' I thought.  That would not be the same.  I like email, because it makes my life easier.  Frankly, email makes my life doable.  But I don't get excited for my email in the morning.  I don't anticipate it.

I said, "You know, this is the only time of the year I look forward to getting the mail." 

It's true.  I actually start checking it around 11am.  I love to open the door and see brown box sitting on the stoop.  I love seeing a mailbox bursting full of brightly colored envelopes.  My kids have such a handle on excitement and anticipation.  During December, the daily mail gives to me a taste of that anticipation, because honestly, I get wrapped up in my to-do lists and what has not gotten finished on my to-do list.  I've sort-of forgotten how to get excited.

If Advent is about anticipating the birth of Christ, then we need to feel some anticipation.  My mailbox run - it's my reminder that surprises happen.  My kids see me get the mail and often say, "Did anything come?" 

And today, and almost every day this month, I can say, "Yes!"... and I hand them an envelope with a sticker on the back, or a tiny green card addressed just to them, and sometimes I even get to say, "Oh, this one's for me!"  Surprises come!

The mailbox run also reminds me that the answer to, "Did anything come for me?" can always be, "Yes."  Because, yes, something came.  Rather, someone came for me.  And someone came for you.  Maybe not in a brightly colored envelope, but definitely filled to the brim with love and remebrance.  That's the promise, that's the surprise of Christmas.  That's what Advent ANTICIPATES!  It is exciting. 

You, my friend, you my sister or brother in Christ - are rembered this Christmas.  Be surprised.  Be excited.  Someone comes for you - Jesus is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment