Tiny Dart Frog

Poison Dart Frogs are some of the tiniest and beautiful creatures on the planet; they are also incrediably deadly. So, why call this blog "Tiny Dart Frog"? It goes back to the old adage - good things come in small packages. We are all created exactly as God has intended - unique, strong, and beautiful.

Friday, October 3, 2008

Monopoly

I have a friend who is incredibly passionate about economic justice. While many of us agree that oppressing others is wrong, I think there are very few of us who really speak out and own our part in the injustices of the world.

Earlier today he and I were talking about life - the struggles we all face, our failings, our dreams and hopes and I noticed a piece of art on his wall. It was a Monopoly board which he had turned into a three dimensional representation about economic justice/injustice. In case it's been a while since you've played Monopoly, the pieces are Chance cards, property cards, houses, and Community Chest. The game is all played with a role of the dice. It's about luck, but it's also about buying up everything you can get your hands on to secure your winnings.

My friend glued the Property cards around the outside of the board and wrote on the cards in permanent marker the median annual income for a family in different areas of the country. The statistics took me by surprise (even in our current economic devastation). Washington DC - $49,000 (the center of government) as compared to Pine Ridge South Dakota - $5000 (an Indian Reservation - the outskirts of America).

$5000 - seriously! For a family to try to exist on $5000 a year is appalling to me. When I was an intern I made more than that as a stipend! I don't pretend to have all the answers to how to fix the huge disparities which exist in the world, but I am certain that a large part of peace in the world, in our communities, and in our families is tied to justice. I may sound juvenile, but "it just isn't fair" for some to 'have' and others to 'have not'. We don't have to wait for a government to bring about peace, or justice, or fairness; it begins with us.

Life does involve a lot of chance, but also involves a lot of community. Life is not a game to be won - a Monopoly of sorts. Rather Life is waking up to see what we have been given each day whether it's a small thing or a big thing - and sharing that with the world. The giving away of ourselves is when true Life happens.

My friend said something like, "Working out there {South Dakota} - that would be something worth giving my life to." Made me think about what I am giving my life to. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment