Tiny Dart Frog

Poison Dart Frogs are some of the tiniest and beautiful creatures on the planet; they are also incrediably deadly. So, why call this blog "Tiny Dart Frog"? It goes back to the old adage - good things come in small packages. We are all created exactly as God has intended - unique, strong, and beautiful.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Love not as work, but as art (I'm still figuring this out)

based on the poem "I Believe" by Elizabeth Alexander and retooled by 'me'.


The Gospel, I tell those who pass,
is peculiar.  It's the Good News

in which we find our true selves
(though Sterling Brown said
"Every 'I' is a dramatic 'I'").
digging in the clam flats

That mud, sinking mud, we call life
For the shell that snaps,
emptying the proveerbial pocketbook along the way.

Good news is what you find
in the dusty crevices of your heart,
and under sandaled feet,
Which hardly seems the place for Gospel to be.

Overheard on the bus,
God in the details, the only way

To get from here to there.
Good News (and now my voice is rising)

is not all love, love, love
and I'm sorry the dog died (even though I am).

The Gospel (here I hear myself the loudest) is the song
which makes the human sing:

"Are we not of delight to each other?"

This poem, in it's original form, was shared with me by one of my dearest and truest friends and I am eternally grateful for the ways in which it continues to speak to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment