Tiny Dart Frog

Poison Dart Frogs are some of the tiniest and beautiful creatures on the planet; they are also incrediably deadly. So, why call this blog "Tiny Dart Frog"? It goes back to the old adage - good things come in small packages. We are all created exactly as God has intended - unique, strong, and beautiful.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

How is it with your soul?

I am restless by nature.  If God asked me to move a mountain, I would be all over it.  I'd gather a team, grab a bunch of shovels, put on my boots and get to work.  I do.

I am not a good sitter.  When I am feeling especially overwhelmed I often think, "Wouldn't it be nice to sit on my back porch, sip a soda, and read a book (or maybe a 'trash' magazine like Cosmo or something).  But given the chance, I really don't know how to do that well.

It's much harder for me when Jesus says, "Come, sit with me for awhile."  I want to know what's next.  I want to know why.  I mean in there a point in just being still, Jesus?

Well, the other night, I was having dinner with a few friends and one woman started talking about a Spiritual group she attends.  It's not really a Bible study, but they talk about the Bible.  It's not really a support group, but they support one another.  It's just a gathering of people who every single Monday answer this question: "How is it with your soul today?"

It's the founding question of John Wesley.

Every week to  be confronted by the question, "How is it with your soul?" by people who care is, to me, enchantingly lovely.  It sends chills up my spine.

How is it?  What a different question from, "How are you?"

It has stuck with me so much these past few days.  There is, for me, something about the poignancy and sweetness and directness which beckons me to look inward at my relationship with God.  As I think on that question I honestly can't help but sit and slow down.

As I've been praying and dreaming over this question, I've started to know again that Jesus, he really wants to be with us.  Maybe even enjoys our company.

Oh, I know all the theology, that we are Baptized into Christ and made new and holy through the blood and body and water of our God who will stop at nothing to redeem this world.  I truly believe all those things, but sometimes our words and theology may get in the way of our relationship with God.

There's something very, very compelling about God caring so much that God would say to us, "How, my dear child, is it with your soul?"  And I'm just wondering if I can answer it....


the cry of the soul
deep within the caverns of your body
i lie....restless for you to remember
there is more to you than flesh and bone

i am your true heartbeat
i am divinity
and loveliness

and you push me down
isolate me and cut me off
and it hurts.

what i know so well is
that i am
the you
the father
and son
and spirit
made.

i am here.
i am well.

1 comment:

  1. This is thoughtful and very beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete