Tiny Dart Frog

Poison Dart Frogs are some of the tiniest and beautiful creatures on the planet; they are also incrediably deadly. So, why call this blog "Tiny Dart Frog"? It goes back to the old adage - good things come in small packages. We are all created exactly as God has intended - unique, strong, and beautiful.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Secret Language

This is a disclaimer...not so much for my thoughts, but for the fact that I struggled to get the thoughts out of my head and into type.  Maybe a first for me - at a loss for words.  Basically...this whole blog boils down to: we need to talk, really talk in real and intimate ways, to get to know one another.  That means, we will have to learn to really talk.  Someone said to me today: "Do I really know you?"  It's made me think...


My kids have a secret language.  Maybe secret is not quite the right word.  People know about their made-up words.  They have special words for orange juice (and apple juice - because these are hot commodities in my house), happy/good; they each have nicknames...there's a whole host of words which escape me.  They talk with one another using this language, interspersed with 'normal' verbiage.  It all makes sense to them.  The funny thing is...it sort-of makes sense to me too.  Even their babysitter has picked up on it.  But to someone from the outside, it would not make sense at all.

Sometimes their dad says to them, "Remember to use regular words when you're talking to other people."  I don't really think he has to say this, because they only use these words around people they know.  Actually, not even just around people they know...they use this language around people they feel safe around and love.  The language is more of a shared experience between brothers who love each other.

Today I heard a report about relationships that last...how nicknames and inside jokes are good for relationships, because they help bond people.  I think this is really true.  And...I've been thinking about this in terms of my relationships.

I have many names: Weeze (this is what my dad calls me and how I sign all my letters to him), Chris (this is what my family calls me), Christine (my grown-up friends call me this), Mom (Obviously, my children refer to me as this), ex-wife (my former husband and dear friend), Pastor (people in my congregation)...  Now these aren't secret, except maybe Weeze.  And...if you really know me, then you know how I got my name Weeze.  These are names, which say something about my relationship with these people though.  Words that by themselves mean very little, but when experienced in context express almost everything there is to me.

The reason I really am thinking about this though is in terms of theological words.  Do we have a 'secret code' of words?  And, if we do (which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing) are we using those words to connect us or divide us?  My kids will teach anyone their language.  Like, when I was learning the word for orange juice (orankdid), I used to always say, 'oink'.  They would laugh and remind me.  Even that brought us together.

As I think about words we toss around so freely in the church...I am wondering if we know what the words mean...to us each, personally.  Really, what's glory?  What is it?  And...reign, and sacrifice, and Son of God, and resurrection, and salvation, and atonement, and omnipotent, and transcendence, and....See what I mean? I like these words, actually I love them.  I like that I don't fully understand them, because no matter how hard I try, I do not and just flat out can't, fully understand God.  But, I would like to be in a conversation where we let down our guards and talk about what these words mean.  What they really mean.  Not what we think they mean, or what we were told in church they mean.

But what do they mean to you?  What do they say to you through your life?  I'll tell you something about me...I mostly think the glory of God often takes up residence in a shower stall.  You'd have to know me really, really well to know why, but it's the truth.  And, I don't know if I really think God is all-knowing.  There you go.  It's better than me nodding my head like I agree.  And - a whole host of other things...

If we (either you and I, dear reader OR you and your best friend or mom OR me and a friend - whatever), if we started talking about what our words mean, then I bet our relationships would be a whole lot richer.

We'd have the words to say..."Yes, I need a friend."  OR  "My life is just in the biggest shambles right now and could you please help me?"  OR "The other day when I was praying...I saw the glory of God."

1 comment:

  1. thank you for this... and i have to say that i am not even near the place where i am wondering about the meaning of words like :reign: or :glory: or :salvation:...

    i am still pondering, turning over, examining ... faith. hope. love. prayer. Jesus. God. forgiveness. Worship! and what they mean to me and how they work in my today and what they could or will mean in my tomorrow.

    and as far as having the words to say... i know when i need to ask for help, and it is as basic as that "help!"... even if i dont know why, or how... but i trust that "the why" will come... and i know the people that i can ask that question of.. and not be afraid of any response that they give...

    and the place i feel closest to God is in my shower... as the water sluices over my head and i face the corner of the stall and fold my arms/hands over my heart and start my prayer...Our Father... i feel Him... and I know that my day will be... as it is supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete